Keyword marketing is a crucial element of any digital marketing campaign. If your keyword selection is poor, you can expect your content to perform not as well as you expect it to. Hence, choosing the content keywords that fit your articles, posts, images, videos, etc. should be your priority. Here is how to increase the effectiveness of your content marketing strategy using keywords.
#1 Do Your Research Properly
First and foremost, you need to do your research properly. If you still don’t know who your audience is, you need to start from that first and then move on to researching keywords. Here are some things to keep in mind:
- Don’t do the research yourself if you don’t know how to do it. There are professionals you can hire who will do it for you.
- Find out as much as you can about your audience (i.e. both basic things like age and gender and complex ones like flaws and dreams).
- Segment your audience if possible and target groups separately for more personalization.
- Start searching for keywords similar to the ones you used already. Take the topics you create content for and brainstorm sub-topics. Then, find keywords based on them.
#2 Set Up Your Goals
The second thing you should do is set up your goals. These concern your content marketing strategy and how you want to use keywords for your digital campaigns. Here are some things you should think about:
- How fast do you want your social media accounts to grow? How many comments, likes, and shares do you want your posts to get? How big are your social media accounts already?
- How much traffic do you currently get on your website? How much traffic do you want to get? What channels do you want to use to generate this traffic?
- How big is your budget? How much of your budget do you expect to spend on various aspects of your digital marketing efforts (i.e. social media, pay-per-click ads, etc.)?
#3 Consider Outsourcing
Outsourcing is a great way to reduce the workload of your employees, especially when some of them are sick at home or there are too many projects to complete in a limited amount of time. When it comes to creating content with the right keywords, outsourcing is one of the best solutions for it.
For example, you can hire a professional writer from a writing services reviews site like Best Writers Online where you can choose them based on reputation, experience, skills, and so on. They will write your articles, posts, and product descriptions. You can also use outsourcing for creating images, illustrations, GIFs, videos, and infographics.
#4 Use Multiple Topics
Speaking of your content, using multiple topics for your keyword research is essential for finding every relevant keyword you can then use in your content. Some trends and topics come and go while others stay, but you should use a mix of both.
For instance, if you sell makeup, you will have to break down the topic of makeup into types of makeup, types of products, brands, and so on. All of these can be divided into even more groups. Then, you can use these sub-topics to find the right keywords for each of them.
#5 Set Keyword Priorities
Just like your digital marketing goals, you should also know your keyword priorities. These will help you determine which keywords you want to use often and which you want to use rarely. Here’s how you can divide your keywords:
- Length: Do you want to use mostly short or long-tail keywords? How often do you want to use both of these (e.g. 3-4 short keywords five times and 2-3 long keywords four times in a single article)?
- Trends: Do you want to stick to general keywords, or do you want to use keywords related to the current trends too? What percentage do you want to use for each (e.g. 70% general and 30% trending keywords)?
- Specificity: How specific do you want your keywords to be? Do you want to use specific queries? Will you use synonymous keywords?
#6 Start Creating Content
Once you know who your audience is and which keywords you should use in your content, you can start creating the said content! Don’t rush it and make sure that you follow the rules you laid out for yourself.
Once again, you don’t have to create your own content if you don’t know how. You can always use a writer from a custom writing reviews site like Online Writers Rating who will do it all for you!
#7 Use Keywords on Your Website
The first place where you should use keywords is your website. These can be the keywords in your product descriptions, or these can be the keywords on your site pages. For example, your contact page will have different keywords from your about page. Keep in mind that some keywords can be used on multiple pages, especially when the product descriptions are concerned.
#8 Add Hashtags to Social Media Posts
Another place where you can use keywords is social media. However, when using them on such platforms, you will need to use them in a somewhat different form – hashtags. Hashtags can be of three different kinds: general, trending, and branded. The first two are just like your regular keywords while branded hashtags can either be your brand name or your brand slogan (e.g. #Nike and #JustDoIt).
#9 Track Your Content’s Performance
The best way to understand how well your keywords are performing, you will need to track the performance of your content. With social media, you should simply check the hashtags you used and see how high your posts show up there (particularly useful on Instagram). You can do the same for your website content and keywords, but it’s better to use specialized tools or plugins that can help you understand your SERPs and other stats.
#10 Improve Your Keyword Strategy
Last but not least, you will need to improve your keyword strategy based on the performance of your content. Choose new keywords, get rid of old ones, improve old keywords, and so on. In other words, do whatever you need to make your content marketing even more effective.
To sum up, using relevant keywords can significantly improve your content and help you get more exposure and engagement on everything you publish online. Use the tips in this article and you will definitely create better pieces of content.
About The Author
Aaron Swain is a writing specialist who is currently working in the writing service reviews company Best Writers Online. He is passionate about marketing and SEO. He expands and improves his skills throughout the writing process to help and inspire people.